How can I control who has access to my personal information?
How to control who has access to your personal information: A privacy power fantasy
Imagine a world where you have complete control over your personal information. You can decide who sees it, how they use it, and for how long. It’s a world where you’re not just a product being sold to the highest bidder. It’s a world where you’re in control.
That’s the world that we can create by controlling who has access to our personal information. It’s not easy, but it’s possible. And it’s worth it.
Here’s a few tips to get you started:
- Be careful about what information you share online. Treat your personal information like a precious commodity. Don’t give it away to just anyone.
- Use a privacy-focused browser. Privacy-focused browsers like DuckDuckGo and Brave block tracking cookies and other privacy-invasive technologies.
- Use a VPN. A VPN encrypts your traffic and hides your IP address, making it more difficult for companies and governments to track your online activity.
- Review your privacy settings regularly. Most websites and apps allow you to control what information they collect about you and how they use it. Make sure that you’re happy with your privacy settings.
- Opt out of data collection. Many companies collect data about us by default. But you can often opt out of this data collection. To find out how to opt out, visit the company’s website or contact their customer support team.
- Be aware of your rights. Under the GDPR and CCPA, you have the right to access, rectify, erase, and restrict the processing of your personal data. Exercise these rights by contacting the companies that are collecting your personal data.
Imagine that you’re a hacker. What would you do if you wanted to steal someone’s personal information? What websites would you target? What techniques would you use? By thinking like a hacker, you can identify the weaknesses in your privacy defenses and take steps to strengthen them.
Controlling who has access to your personal information is a power fantasy. But it’s a power fantasy that we can make a reality. By following the tips above, we can take back control of our privacy and protect our personal information from prying eyes.